What Type Of Damages Can I Claim Following A Maritime Accident At My Job?

When a person who works on the water is injured, it is critical to know whether that person would be considered a Jones Act Seaman, Longshoreman, or otherwise.  Factors we consider in making this evaluation include the person’s job duties, how long they have been employed, whether they were permanently assigned to a vessel, and whether the accident took place when they were working in service to the vessel. 

If a person is considered a Seaman for purposes of the Jones Act, their employee must continue to pay room and board payments (maintenance) and their medical bills (cure).  

Additionally, a Jones Act Seaman is entitled to pursue claims for their pain and suffering and past and future lost wages.  If third parties are involved, the injured person could have additional claims as well.  

Maritime accident claims can be extremely complicated and are very fact dependent.  Having an experienced Maritime lawyer on your side could mean the difference between being fairly compensated and missing out on claims to which you may be entitled.   

Have You Been Injured On Your Louisiana Maritime Job?

If you've been injured at your maritime job or at sea, you need to speak with an experienced Jones Act attorney as soon as possible. Please contact me online or call my Covington office directly at 985.590.6182 to schedule your free consultation today. I help clients throughout Louisiana including Mandeville, Slidell, Bogalusa, Franklinton, Hammond, New Orleans and Metairie.

Grady Flattmann
Connect with me
Local Covington, Louisiana attorney focusing 100% on personal injury matters.