I Was Injured In A Louisiana Maritime Work Accident But Live Out Of State. What Should I Do?

If you were injured while working on the water, a determination should be made by an experienced maritime attorney as to whether you qualify as a Jones Act Seaman for purposes of making a “Jones Act Claim,” or if your claim falls into another category, such as under the Longshoreman and Harbor Workers Compensation Act (LHWCA), or state workers’ compensation law.  

Louisiana Maritime Injury Lawyer Flattmann Law

A Jones Act claim is very different than an ordinary workers’ compensation claim and provides the injured worker with the right to pursue significantly broader claims.  

If a lawsuit has to be filed under the Jones Act, the proper place (venue) for filing your lawsuit depends on many factors, including where the incident occurred, where the company is located, and whether any third-parties are responsible for your injuries.  Commonly, a decision must also be made as to whether the lawsuit should be file in state or federal court.  
We help injured seamen navigate through the complex waters of their Jones Act claims.

Have You Been Injured On Your Louisiana Maritime Job?

If you've been injured at your maritime job or at sea, you need to speak with an experienced Jones Act attorney as soon as possible. Please contact me online or call my Covington office directly at 985.590.6182 to schedule your free consultation today. I help clients throughout Louisiana including Mandeville, Slidell, Bogalusa, Franklinton, Hammond, New Orleans and Metairie.


Grady Flattmann
Connect with me
Local Covington, Louisiana attorney focusing 100% on personal injury matters.