What should I do after a slip and fall accident?

medical-care-after-a-slip-and-fallSlip and fall accidents are considered a type of premises liability claim. If your injury was caused by the property owner's failure to maintain reasonably safe conditions, you may be able to seek compensation for expenses related to the incident.

Protect Your Rights With These Five Steps

1. Report the Injury

As soon as you fall, you should report the injury to the property owner. If you are injured in a store, restaurant, or another public establishment, report the incident to the manager on duty. Request a written copy of the report for your own records.

2. Seek Medical Attention

You might be tempted to dismiss a bit of soreness or stiffness as a minor inconvenience, but it is important to seek medical attention after a slip and fall accident. Minor symptoms can turn into something more serious. For example, a backache might be a sign of a herniated disc.

3. Keep Detailed Records and Photographs

Documentation is vital in a slip and fall claim. Write down your account of the incident in as much detail as you can remember while it is still fresh in your mind, including the names of any witnesses who can corroborate your statement. Take photographs of the accident scene if you are able to. Keep your shoes and clothing from the accident in a safe spot in case these items are requested as evidence. Gather copies of medical bills and documentation of other expenses related to the accident.

4. Avoid Speculation

After an accident that may result in a premises liability claim, it is important to avoid speculation as to who is at fault. Don't talk to friends and family about the incident or make social media posts about the incident. Stay calm and limit your communication to a brief report filed with the property owner or manager.

5. Call an Attorney

A slip and fall accident may entitle you to compensation for medical expenses, lost wages, and pain and suffering. However, insurance companies are typically in no hurry to pay a claim. Protect your rights by contacting an experienced personal injury attorney who can advocate for your interests throughout the settlement process.

Contact us today or call us at (985) 590-6182 for a free and confidential consultation from our office located in Covington and serving all areas of the Northshore including St. Tammany, Tangipahoa, and Washington Parish (Covington, Mandeville, Madisonville, Slidell, Hammond) and the New Orleans metro!


Grady Flattmann
Connect with me
Local Covington, Louisiana attorney focusing 100% on personal injury matters.