Are You Really "Fully Covered?"

Grady Flattmann
Connect with me
Local Covington, Louisiana attorney focusing 100% on personal injury matters.

I've got "full coverage."  I hear this statement all the time from clients when I ask the question: “what type of auto coverage do you have?”  But what does that mean?  A lot of times, people confuse having enough insurance to legally drive in Louisiana with "full coverage."  These are two different things.

The Law:  What's Required In Louisiana.

In Louisiana, the law requires drivers to have $15,000 per person if they are at fault for an accident causing injury to another person.  This is the bare minimum.  A lot of people mistakenly think that this makes them “fully covered.”  A majority of drivers in Louisiana have minimum coverage. 

What Are My Options?

When you purchase auto insurance, you have many options.  You can increase the amount of Liability Insurance you have from the minimum $15,000.  Also, you can purchase insurance that protects you in the event the person who caused the accident has minimum coverage or not enough coverage to pay for your injuries and medical bills.  This is called “UM” insurance, and stands for Uninsured Motorist or Underinsured Motorist Coverage.  Other optional coverage such as Collision Coverage, covers your car damage, regardless of fault.

How Can I Make Sure I'm "Fully Covered"?

In a nutshell, talk to your insurance agent about purchasing additional Liability Coverage, Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist Coverage, and Collision Coverage.  Your agent should be able to help you make a good choice in selecting the right coverages for you. 

If you have been in a car accident and don't know if you are fully covered, call us today to schedule a free consultation.  Whether your accident happened in St. Tammany Parish (Covington, Mandeville, Abita Springs, Bogalusa, Franklinton, Folsom) or anywhere in the New Orleans Metro area, we are here for you.  Contact us today at (985) 590-6182