A wreck with a truck, whether it be a semi-truck, 18-wheeler, bus, dump truck, or other big truck, can be very scary. After the wreck, you may be even disoriented and confused. Even then, it is important to keep your wits about you, because what you do right after a truck accident can greatly impact your claims moving forward.
First and foremost, call 911 for help. Assess your own injuries and those of any passengers as best you can so that you can tell emergency medical personnel the extent of your injuries.
What To Do Following A Truck Accident
Once you have made sure that your own medical needs are being taken care of, the essential steps to take after a truck accident include:
1. Take photos and videos of the wreck. (Take as many as you can, making sure to capture license plates and any identifying names and numbers on the truck.)
2. Take photos of the truck driver’s insurance card, driver’s license, and truck registration.
3. Get contact information for any witnesses.
4. If you are hurt, make sure to tell the police, even if you don’t have to go to the hospital.
5. Avoid posting on social media about your wreck.
6. Call an experienced truck accident attorney.
Have You Been Injured In A Covington Area Truck Accident?
If you've been hurt in a semi-truck or large vehicle accident you need to speak with an experienced truck accident lawyer as soon as possible. Please contact me online or call my Covington office directly at 985.590.6182 to schedule your free consultation today. I help clients throughout Louisiana including Mandeville, Slidell, Bogalusa, Franklinton,Hammond, New Orleans and Metairie.